Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Evolution

A few Thanksgivings ago I was talking to Cee-lo asking him a million questions as usual ranging from GooDie Mob to just life in general. One of the questions, I asked him was why he believed he'd evolved so much from the early GooDie Mob days, and his reply was “It’s all about the air”, I asked him what do you mean? He was referencing astrology. He’s a Gemini. He said that it’s all about being creative, pushing the envelope and evolving. I asked him about water signs too and he said the same for water, so on my way home I thought about what he said and being the researcher I am I went on Wikipedia and started looking up the birthdays of popular artists and people that I respected from musical and or evolutionary standpoints and what do you know everyone I looked up was either an air or water sign from Prince, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Snoop Dogg, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Erykah Badu, Andre 3000 and etc. Though there is some substance to astrology, I’m not a big follower of it. However, I just thought that his take was unique and I wanted to share it. I think that everyone has a creative spark and that evolving in any area of your life is measured by your willingness and the power of choice. Awhile back, I was looking over Jay-Z’s reading list on Oprah.com and he mentioned the book “Celestine Prophecy” by James Redfield. This is an excellent book and his wife Salle Redfield is awesome and she’s actually a mentor of mine. The book is fiction and it’s about a guy who travels to find a secret book that has a series of principles. The story is a metaphor for life, meaning one could go left or right, be stuck or keep advancing. Jay-Z says it’s a book that he lives his life by and he goes on to state “Some people are happy where they are. I tried to hire a guy once, and I said, "Don't you have ambition to be bigger?" And he said, "No, I'm good." I had to respect that, but for me that was the wrong relationship”. So anyhow I just wanted to give you some food for thought with a hip-hop spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment