Thursday, September 13, 2012

"5 Questions" With Indie Hip-Hop Artist, Asoka Singh


I spoke with Blender and Rolling Stone lauded indie hip-hop artist Asoka Singh about maximizing the Internet for music & brand promotion, the importance of having your own website and more. Check it out!

1.) On your Google Plus profile your tag line is "I use the Internet". As a DIY hip-hop artist what tips would you give to indie and upcoming hip-hop artists for maximizing the Internet to promote their music?
I think the Internet has not only changed the music industry, it's changed the world we live in. You can put out your own product and have it be seen by millions. And everybody always says that. But the thing about it is... you have to be very clever and organized in your methods.

Because everybody IS posting their music on the internet and in doing so... That clouds up the channels. So when you release your music, you have to make sure you come out with a bang and make sure it's promoted properly through the right channels and outlets. That'll make a world of difference.

2.) Your music and unique sound has been lauded by top music publications, such as Rolling Stone and Blender. How did you go about getting your music in front of these magazines?
Thanks, honestly it's all about networking and being friendly. I met a photographer years ago, and he was a cool guy. He was really passionate about music. After our shoot we traded contact info and figured we might work on future projects together.

Years later he did some work for Blender magazine. He gave me the editors number. I called him, introduced myself and right off the bat I was really aggressive. I was just like, "I've done blah blah blah blah, and worked with so and so. Do you think we could do a potential article?"

Straight up, I just asked him (laughs). My main train of thought during that call was just to be confident! And it worked.

3.) What are some of the challenges you face as a underground hip-hop artist?
I feel the biggest challenge of being an independent/underground artist is... that our resources are limited. It's like giving an artist only a few colors to paint with. The artist might still be able to paint something beautiful... but it's not going to be his best product... because he was limited to his resources. And people don't always realize that.

And that's just in the actual creation process. Sometimes you might have a great product in your hands, but you might have trouble promoting it properly due to your budget. Your budget might be limited. Just depends what resources are available to you and how well you can utilize them.

4. You have an excellent website. In my upcoming e-book I talk about the importance of making your website the central point of your marketing and Internet presence. In your opinion, why is it important to have a website vs. just relying on social media alone?
I absolutely agree with you! That's an excellent point! It's mind blowing to me that some of these artists don't have their own websites. It's crucial to your success because it's your biggest promotional tool! It's your digital home. It's the place where you can have all of your stuff organized and presented the way that you'd like.

And if you keep it updated with content... fans will keep checking back. It'll become one of their daily websites that they go to when they're bored. That can be tough to do, but nothing worth having comes easy.

And it's the best way to promote new material. You don't have to rely on an outside source.

5. What projects are you currently working on?
Right now I'm actually putting the finishing touches on my album: Heart Of A Lion. I've been working on this album over the span of the last two years. I feel it's my best work to date. Honestly, this album is a dream come true. I've been working on it with people that I've looked up to as a fan for years. I worked on it with Dr. Dre & Eminem's protege Stat Quo, Bobby Creekwater, Knoc-Turn'al, Shade Sheist, amongst others as well!

And we just got a deal with VH1 where the videos off this project will be promoted on there network! So it's a blessing. I'm just looking forward to putting out the project and building onwards. I'm really excited for people to hear this music!

Twitter: @TheAsoka
YouTube Video: For My Soul ft. Stat Quo

No comments:

Post a Comment